It’s funny how my taste buds have changed as I’ve gotten older. There are a lot of things I wouldn’t eat when I was younger that I love now.
- Brussel sprouts – My mom never made these when we were growing up but everyone always talked about them like they were disgusting. I love them now.
- Avocado – I think it was the color of avocado and guacamole that threw me for a loop. I thought I hated it but this is another thing I love now.
- Sweet potatoes – I’m not sure if I just didn’t like these when they were covered with marshmallows but I didn’t start eating them until a few years ago. Since we started Whole30, we typically have 1 sweet potato every day. I still don’t like them sweet, I prefer them savory.
- Bananas – Who doesn’t like banana? I don’t remember ever eating them when I was younger but I love them now. I don’t eat them as much I as I used to but I love baking with them.
- Tomatoes – I wouldn’t touch tomato juice, tomato soup or a plain tomato for most of my life. I’m not sure why I despised them but now I eat them all of the time.
- Beans – Even though we’re not eating them now, beans were a pretty big part of our diet within the last couple of years. I wouldn’t eat any kind of beans (except green beans) for a majority of my life. I remember my preschool teacher making me eat beans and weenies and I ended up getting sick. Yes, I really do remember this and it haunted me for years. I was always that person picking all of the beans out of their chili.
- Cauliflower – I would only eat it if my mom or grandma covered it in butter and bread crumbs.
- Pumpkin – I always passed on the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. Now, I’m a bit of pumpkinaholic.
Some things I still don’t like:
- Water chestnuts
I’m sure there is more but I can’t think of it off the top of my head.
Eggs scrambled in ghee, sweet potato latke, avocado and pineapple.
I went with Kim and Teri to get a mani/pedi and it took forever. We went to our regular place but they were slammed so we reluctantly went to another place and regretted it. Kim and I had to be somewhere at 2:00pm so I scarfed this down on the way.
I was hungry when I got home and this dinner was awesome. Grilled flank steak, grilled veggies and cucumber salad.
What is something you didn’t like when you were young but you like now?
What’s your favorite food?
Do you use your grill a lot in the spring/summer?