During the first week of Whole30, I didn’t workout as much as I had been. I had a headache for a few days and didn’t have a whole lot of energy. Judging from what I read, this appeared to be normal, so I didn’t push it. Well, my headache is long gone and I have a lot more energy, so I made it back to the gym this week. My daily e-mail just so happened to be about incorporating more activity into our day. My friends Kim and Teri and I have committed to meeting at the gym 3 days a week to work on strength training and it’s up to us to get 45 minutes of cardio in every day. I’m definitely looking forward to this!
Here is a list of bodyweight (no equipment needed) workouts you can do anytime, anywhere, compiled in part by our friend and two-time U.S. Olympian Eva Twardokens. Any of these can be turned into a high-intensity session (just do them “for time,” or as fast as you can), but remember, when it comes to high-intensity training, more isn’t always better! Aim to perform high-intensity training no more than 3-4 days a week, keep your sessions short and hard, and add a few days of lower intensity activity like walking or easy kettlebell work to aid with recovery.
- Run 1/2 mile + 50 air squats – 3 rounds.
- 10 push-ups + 10 sit-ups + 10 squats – 10 rounds.
- Run 200m + 10 squats + 10 push-ups – 5 rounds.
- Sprint 200m + 25 push-ups – 3 rounds.
- 5 push-ups + 5 squats + 5 sit-ups – 20 rounds.
- Bear crawl :30, crab walk :30, walking lunge :30, broad jump :30, for 12 minutes.
- Bear crawl 400 meters.
- 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of sit-ups, with a 100M sprint between each set.
- 21-15-9 of air squats and push-ups.
- Run 1 mile for time.
- Do one air squat, then take one breath, do 2 and take 2 breaths etc…up to 10, and then come back down to one.
- 3 vertical jumps + 3 squats + 3 long jumps – 5 rounds.
- Handstand hold for 30 seconds + 10 squats – 8 rounds.
- 10 push-ups + 100M dash – 10 rounds.
- 5 X 400M sprints. (Recover completely between sprints.)
- 10 X 100M dash. (Recover completely between sprints.)
- Run 1 mile, lunging 30 steps every 1 minute.
- :30 on/:30 off jumping squats (4 minutes) + split jumps (4 minutes) + tuck jumps (4 minutes)
- 10 vertical jumps + 10 push-ups + 10 sit-ups – 4 rounds.
- Run 1 mile, doing 20 air squats every 1 minute.
- Handstand 1 minute + hold bottom of the squat for 1 minute – 5 rounds.
- Sprint 100 meters + Walk 100 meters – 10 rounds.
- 100 push-ups.
- Run a 5K (about 3 miles) for time.
- 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 burpees + sit-ups.
- 50 sit-ups + 400 meter run – 3 rounds.
- Plank position + bottom of squat + hollow rock hold, 30 seconds each for 10 rounds.
- 50 air squats x 5. Rest equal amounts as it took to do each 50.
- Run 1 mile and do 10 push-ups every 1 minute.
- 100 jumping jacks, 75 air squats, 50 push-ups, 25 burpees.
- Run 1 minute, squat 1 minute – 5 rounds.
I decided to take a long lunch hour to go by Whole Foods.
I also found some Whole30 compliant salsa.
Dane had lunch at Chili’s with his Grandma and he was faced with having to order something Whole30 compliant. This was his first meal out since we started. He ended up ordering a salad but he said it was very difficult when everyone around him was eating fried food that looked and smelled delicious. His salad ended up being better than he expected despite the fact that he had to request that they leave a few of the ingredients off.
I think I mentioned that I’m feeling a lot less swollen and bloated recently. Dane also said that he can feel it in his ankles, knees and elbows. He has bones that he didn’t know existed before. :) The shoes that I wore to work used to be pretty snug and today they were a bit too big!
Day 11 down – 19 to go! You can find all of my Whole30 posts here.