I was reading an article today and came across an alarming statistic. By 2030, 42 percent of American adults will be obese, compared to 34 percent now, and 11 percent will be severely obese, compared to the current 6 percent. 42 percent?! That’s almost HALF of American adults. Is that shocking to anyone else? The article also goes on to talk about whether or not the government should have control over what people eat and drink. I agree that healthier choices should be available to children in school, but as far as adults are concerned, you’re responsible for your health. We all know that there is no magic pill, shake or “diet” that is going to immediately reverse all of your bad habits. This made me think about my reasons for deciding to lose weight/live a healthier life.
- I hated the way I looked. When I saw pictures of myself, I didn’t even recognize that person.
- I never in my life thought I would see a number starting with 2 when I stepped on the scale.
- My size 16 jeans were getting really tight.
- I was out of breath just from tying my shoes.
- I couldn’t paint my toenails.
- I was always the fat friend/sister in pictures.
- In high school I played volleyball, basketball & softball and now taking the stairs at work was extremely challenging.
- I hated wearing a bathing suit. (I live in Florida)
- I couldn’t catch my breath after running less than a 1/4 mile.
- I realized eating at 2:00am on the weekends may have saved me from a hangover, but it wasn’t doing my body any favors.
- My knees were hurting me. I thought the doctor might tell me I needed surgery, instead he told me to lose weight.
- My cholesterol was high.
- I didn’t want to wait until I was laying in a hospital bed being forced to make changes.
- I want to wear cute clothes instead of oversized tops that just make me look bigger than I am.
- I want to feel that sense of accomplishment.
I’m sure I could come up with a lot more, but there’s a few of my reasons.
This morning for breakfast I had some overnight oats. In the mix:
* 1/3 cup rolled oats
* 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
* 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt
* 1 tbsp chia seeds
* 3/4 banana
* 1 tbsp peanut butter
For lunch I had a salad that I picked up at Publix on Sunday. This was my first time trying one of these and I would definitely get one again when I don’t have leftovers to bring for lunch. Only 210 calories!!
Not long after lunch, I had an apple. I thought I picked up Fuji’s at the store but the sticker said it was a Braeburn. Either way, it was really good. Perfect amount of sweetness and crisp.
Later in the afternoon I had a sugar free pudding an didn’t remember to take a picture until it was gone. Oops! :)
Dane’s cousin is in town from Ohio, so we had dinner with him, his wife and Dane’s Grandma. We decided on a British Pub by the beach called Black Sheep. There aren’t a whole lot of healthy choices available and since I had a salad for lunch, I didn’t want another one. I ordered the veggie burger and sweet potato fries. A small NSV considering the previous 2 times I ate there I had the Fish and Chips. I didn’t take a picture because the lighting was horrible.
Workout – I didn’t get up and early and go to the gym, because I was dealing with a horrible toothache Sunday night and got very little sleep. I was so tired when I got up for work that I almost felt hungover. I did make a point to get up and walk around at work more than I usually do.
What are your reasons?